Winter time is fast approaching in the Lowcountry, and especially here in Beaufort SC. Though it does not get too cold (it may be just as cold as last year), it is always good to weatherproof your home this holiday season. Here are some tips to help save money and keep the cold out of your home.
- Keep the heat in by inspecting the weatherstripping around your windows and doorframes. Check for drafts as well. Replacing weatherstrips or caulking inside and out may be necessary.
- Turn your ceiling fans on clockwise. This draws the warmer air down instead of up. This is especially helpful for higher ceilings.
- Take a look around the exterior of your home. Trim back any branches that may damage your home or surrounding powerlines.
- Insulate any exposed pipes to prevent pipes from bursting. Exterior pipes are the most susceptible to freezing, and often times they have little or no insulation from the cold. This is an easy preventative measure that can save tons of money.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure the chimney and flue are in working order. Get it inspected. Make sure you have enough firewood on hand just in case the power goes out.
- Insulate your attic and walls!
- Inspect your roof for any missing shingles or holes.
- Inspect the exterior of your home. Little animals do not like the cold weather, too, and will take any opportunity to share the warmth of your home!
These are only some tips to help get you started. There are plenty of websites that can help you prepare for the changing season. Many home improvement stores already have their winter readiness products available. Do your research before it gets too cold outside!
Beaufort SC Real Estate - Beaufort Realty Consultants
Our Team of Real Estate Professionals specialize in Beaufort South Carolina, which in the heart of the Lowcountry. We offer full service Real Estate Listing Services, Buyers’ Representation, long term property management, vacation beach rentals, and real estate investment. Visit our local office at 910 Charles Street, Beaufort SC 29902 or call (843) 521-2022.